The Grand Rapids Rowing Association is pleased to partner with Concept2 and UCanRow2 to offer a one-day coaching clinic for indoor rowing instruction. Participants will learn advanced coaching techniques for the ergometer, and will become certified as a Concept2 instructor upon completion of the class and home study course.
The cost for registration is $225.
Registration is only available until Monday, December 6, 2010, and only 18 spaces are available... so register soon!
Instructor Approval by a Master Instructor is awarded after the participation in the course and successful completion of the Home Study Course. Participants in the course will have the opportunity to continue their rowing education through the Home Study correspondence course and through Concept2 online resources. Participants will receive lunch and a program handbook.
USRA-certified rowing instructors can use this course to fulfill Continuing Education requirements. Additionally, participants who are ACE members will also be eligible for .9 ACE Continuing Education credits.
Individual or group exercise certification in indoor rowing tells your students you have the highest level of preparation possible and offer the classes that will best help them achieve their fitness goals, from weight loss to lifetime fitness, cross training, rehab and more.
Specific elements covered in the course include:
- Demonstrating proper rowing technique and identifying common errors
- Understanding the biomechanics of rowing
- Use and maintenance of the Concept2 Indoor Rower
- How to teach indoor rowing to achieve optimum results for your students/clients
- How to use the fundamental workouts and workout plans
Benefits of certification include:
- Increased credibility Demonstrate your commitment to your membership and the populations you support by providing them the best knowledge-based instruction in the industry.
- Enhanced workouts The Concept2 certification will give you all the information you need to design workouts that are safe, fun and effective for every member of your class.
- Increased marketability With the benefit of a Concept2 certification, your students and potential students will know that they are working with an instructor who is fully versed in the critical elements of the sport, and therefore is someone they can trust to deliver clear and competent instruction.
This clinic will be instructed by Terry Smythe, Fitness Director for the Keweenaw Memorial Rehab & Fitness Center in Houghton, MI. Terry has been a competitive rower since 1977, and is the founder and coach of the Michigan Tech Rowing Club and the Portage Lake Rowing Club.
She has won several awards for her work promoting fitness and rowing in her community. In 2004, Terry was the Rotary International Paul Harris award winner. In 2006, she won the Keweenaw Chamber of Commerce “Sparkplug” award for community service excellence. Also in 2006, she won the Medical Fitness Association “Program Innovation” award for Meter Madness. In addition to her full schedule, Terry hosts a weekly radio show called "What About Fitness,” and she serves as Race Director for the Copperman Triathlon, Copperkid Triathlon, Keweenaw Indoor Scholastic Rowing Challenge K-12, and the Ski for the HEART of OUR Community Fund Raiser.